Our summer program gives you a sense of a junior associate’s life at Latham.
As a summer associate, you will meaningfully contribute to our work through our Unassigned Program, which allows you to explore our 50+ practice groups and participate in pro bono matters.
Assigned mentors will answer your questions and help guide you through the summer. Like our associates, you will be engaged in substantive matters and receive real-time feedback.
At Summer Academy — a highlight of our summer program — you will join summer associates from across the firm and immerse yourself in Latham’s culture through training seminars and social events.
Networking and building relationships with Latham professionals is an essential part of your summer — and your career. You will have opportunities to join practice group presentations, participate in affinity group events, and attend casual lunches and social events with our lawyers.
Summer program opportunities in London can be found here.
2024 2L applications are closed. Sign up to be notified when 2024 1L applications open in the fall, and 2025 2L applications open in the spring. View this recruiting timeline to better understand the key dates for the JD class of 2026.
IP Litigation Summer Program (1L & 2L)
Latham’s IP Litigation Summer Program offers aspiring IP litigators an unparalleled depth of training, tailored mentoring from lawyers in our award-winning IP Litigation practice, and an offer of summer employment. 1L and 2L IP Litigation Summer Associates will join an all-star team of skilled attorneys focused primarily on complex patent trials, appeals, inter partes review (IPR), covered business method (CBM), and related business counseling. Applications are accepted in our Austin, Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Washington, D.C. offices.
Our IP Litigation Summer Program offers a unique opportunity to students who have just finished their first or second year of law school at an ABA-accredited school. The 10-week program includes all of the benefits of Latham’s Unassigned Summer Program, but with a dedicated focus on IP Litigation
The application process is open to all law students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
Latham’s Recruiting Committee will evaluate all applications and consider the following factors:
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- Relevant experience (academic, clinical, externship, and/or employment)
- Relevant technical background (engineering, computer science, chemistry, biology, or physics)
- Desire to practice in the IP Litigation Group
General Application Requirements
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial or official law school transcript (including your complete grades for all law school semesters) and undergraduate transcript
- If your second semester grades are not available by the application deadline, you may submit your application online and separately email your transcript once your grades become available. Once available, please email your unofficial transcript to Recruit.Global@lw.com. Finalists will be required to submit official transcripts as they progress through the selection process.
Dates and Deadlines
- 2024 2L IP Litigation Summer Program applications are closed.
- 2024 1L applications will open later in the fall, and 2025 2L applications will open in the spring. Sign up to be notified when applications open. View this recruiting timeline to better understand the key dates for the JD class of 2026.
Not sold on IP Litigation? Applicants who do not want to fully commit to IP Litigation work can still apply for our Unassigned Summer Program.